Historical Sketch
of The Immaculate Heart Community

1848

At Olot in the North of Catalan, Spain, Father Joaquin Masmitj√° founds an order for women, the Daughters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary - IHM.

1871

At the request of Bishop Amat of California, ten IHM Sisters were sent to Gilroy and San Juan Bautista, California.

1886

Saint Vibiana Cathedral School opened in Los Angeles staffed by the IHMs.

1906

Immaculate Heart Convent and Immaculate Heart High School are established in Los
Angeles.

1916

Immaculate Heart College chartered in Los Angeles.

1924

Separation from Spain and establishment of California IHMs.

1943

Immaculate Heart Novitiate established in Montecito, California.

1955

La Casa de Maria Retreat Center was opened.

1970

Following the vision and direction of the Second Vatican Council the IHM Sisters sought to renew and adapt to the needs of contemporary times. In that the Church authority of Los Angeles was not open to this renewal, the disagreement reached an impasse. In order to continue their renewal and mission the IHMs decided to form a new community, without the restrictions required by the Archbishop of Los Angeles and the Vatican, yet dedicated to their mission promulgated in their Decrees of 1968.

The Immaculate Heart Community was founded.

1974

IHM Center for Spiritual Renewal replaces novitiate in Montecito.

1995

25th Anniversary of the Immaculate Heart Community.

1998

150th Anniversary of the Spanish Foundation.

2010

40th Anniversary of the Immaculate Heart Community

2015

45th Anniversary of the Immaculate Heart Community